Sharon Hodgson, Member of Parliament for Washington and Sunderland West and Shadow Minister for Public Health, is looking for the ideal candidate(s) to join her hard-working, fast-paced and committed team in Parliament to assist in her Parliamentary work.
This opening is either one part-time (25 hours per week) OR a job share for two part-time candidates (15 hours per week). Applicants should make it clear which option they would prefer in their covering letter. Hours subject to agreement, however it would be preferable if a candidate could work Wednesdays.
This would be an ideal opportunity for a student, or someone looking for part-time work, who is interested in politics and looking to work for a frontbench spokesperson who is an active Member of Parliament.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Drafting political responses to constituent correspondence and keeping records on the caseworker.mp software;
• Regularly updating social media pages;
• Editing draft press releases from outside organisations;
• Dealing with and monitoring incoming telephone and visitor enquiries, responding to emails and letters, efficient data and file management;
• Opening and dispatching mail where necessary;
• Undertaking photocopying, scanning and formatting of documents;
• Ensuring office records are kept and an efficient filing system is in place and up to date;
• Adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and GDPR, and respecting the confidentiality of data at all times;
• Liaising on behalf of Sharon with relevant groups/personnel within Westminster and within the Constituency, including liaison with outside organisations and the general public;
• Assisting other members of staff where necessary;
• Performing other duties as and when required.
Experience of social media communications and campaigns would be an advantage. Full training will be given on the caseworker.mp software and work in a Westminster office.
Initial contract will be for 10 months, pending a successful probationary period of 4 months and further review towards the end of the contract.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
The deadline for applications is 6pm on Thursday 30th August. Interviews will take place on Thursday 6th September. We may hold second interviews on Tuesday 11th September. If you anticipate a problem with interview dates, please make this clear when you apply.
Candidates will be notified by email on Monday 3rd September if they have been offered an interview with further instructions.
Please send a short covering letter (maximum 1 side of A4) detailing why you are interested in the job and your CV (maximum 2 sides of A4) to [email protected] putting SHPT18 as the subject line.